#5 Networked @ Work

Recently, I've been pondering just how connected we are... how networked we are at work. As a global society, we've always had connections, but now, thanks to computers, the world wide web, and business software, the workplace is more networked than ever. We've shifted from working with tangible materials to abstract, internet-based functions, making the workplace a productivity powerhouse. In fact, the average worker now spends about 10 hours a day online. Yes, you read that right—10 hours! 


So, how connected are you at work? If you work from home, how do you stay plugged into the matrix? Which tools do you use? Do you love them, or are they just the necessary evil of remote work? Maybe you work in an office. In that case, how do you stay connected there? Do you physically walk over to your colleagues' desks, or do you prefer to send an email and then hide behind your computer, pretending to be busy? Let's hear your thoughts—because what better way to spend your 10 online hours than discussing how you spend your 10 online hours?

Comments

  1. Nice post, Laura! I have spent the last few years working in different hybrid environments, and in all three, we've been completely dependent on Microsoft Teams. When it comes to approaching desks versus sending online messages, I do a bit of both, and I'd love to tell you that my methods depend on some expert professional communications strategies but in fact my communication channels seem to depend largely on my whims/mood on a given day. Sometimes I'd rather ask the quick question by speaking to the person, and sometimes the email seems preferable. One thing I appreciate about Teams (the same applies to Slack) is that the chat feature provides a sort of in-between option--often quicker, or more immediate, than an email & less intrusive/time-consuming than an in-person talk. Either way, writing this has me realizing that I really ought to be more strategic; I rarely think of the old-fashioned phone call as a first option, yet on Friday I had a 5-minute call that accomplished about as much as a half-hour of back-and-forth chat messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights here, Neuro! I might be online 10+ hours a day 😅 I have worked fully remote and was totally dependent on slack, email, and an online phone application. In that position, I was constantly connected to my team and other peers within the company. Currently, I work in person and have a bit more live interactions. Because I work in manufacturing, I have found that many of my coworkers are more responsive to an in person drop in or an old-fashioned phone call rather than a Teams message or email.

    I agree with William's observations of Teams and phone calls. Face time or phone time can be impactful to get a job done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

# 1 Where Are My People?

#6 PSSST..... Can we get a little personal?

#3 Web 2.0